Monday, October 6, 2008

HallowMerica

Even though I now live in Minneapolis, I grew up in northern Iowa – that's right, in the middle of the corn fields! Art is viewed slightly differently in the midwest, it tends to be a little more homely, a little more tactile, and a little less trendy. "Americana Crafts" are intensely popular, and although I didn't quite appreciate them when I lived here, I now find the illustrations very inspiring. The simplicity and exaggeration of certain forms is fascinating and like nothing I've seen in graphic arts. I've decided to create my own version of this style while applying it to Halloween, creating "HallowMerica." I'm in the process of creating patterns with the following characters and will be sharing them later this week. Enjoy : )
  





No comments: